Skip to content

Program Extension

Program extensions are strictly regulated by DHS/ICE/SEVP and may only be granted to F-1 students at HU who are unable to complete their course of study by the program end date on their form I-20 due to a compelling reason, either academic or medical.


In order to be eligible for a program extension a student must:
  • Have continually maintained legal F-1 status
  • Seek an extension for a delay caused by a compelling academic or medical need, such as: change of major or research topic, unexpected research problems, or documented illness
  • Probation or suspension are not acceptable reasons for program extensions. Failed courses resulting in deficit credits should be made up with overloads at the earliest possible time in order to stay on track for graduation
  • A student who does not apply for an extension until after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 is ineligible for a program extension and is considered out of status

The following reasons are not eligible for program extensions:

  • Losing credits due to failing course(s)
  • Failing a course in the final semester
  • Earning an FD in the final semester
  • Delays caused by academic probation and suspension 
  • Delays caused by not successfully completing pre-requisites before the last semester (e.g., Graduate students not taking GRAD 695 until the last semester does not allow for an extension to take GRAD or Program 699)
  • Taking any courses outside of the required courses
  • Applying for an extension after the program end date noted on the Form I-20 

Important Notes
  • If you fail to apply prior to the expiration date you will be considered out of status.
  • The extension will extend your I-20, but will not extend your visa.
  • You may remain in the US with an expired visa as long as your I-20 is valid.
  • If you travel out of the US you may need a new US Entry visa to re-enter.